Well today was the day I decided to tackle my out of control binder twine garden in the barn. It's a huge pile of draped twine hanging on a hook looking ugly and getting in the way. I can't throw it out. That would be wasteful. So I've been saving it waiting for inspiration to hit. Well inspiration finally met product and I went about making hay wisp using twine instead of hay. It was something I made about 45 years ago in pony club. Hay wisps are used after grooming to massage a horses large muscles and make their coats sparkle.
So I hit the internet and found a diagram to show me how to make a wisp. My effort took about an hour. I braided three strands of binder twine together making a 6 foot long rope and then wove it together as the image above indicated. It turned out too small. So I made a second attempt. Three 6 foot long ropes braided together that made the frame above on the left. Then I braided another thin 3 binder twine braid about 6 feet long and used it to weave through the frame. Neither attempt look anything like the above illustration. But it was a good first attempt and I'll try again to see if I can improve my technique. I'll let you know how Rolo, Derby and Floyd respond to their binder twine massage on another day. I actually think my attempt looks like two curries gone wrong...but there you have it today's craft completed.